After adding a payout method to your account, you may be required to complete a tax form, depending on your payor's requirements and the type of payment. United States federal tax law requires that we collect tax information through an IRS form and report on certain income paid for all payments sourced from the United States.

Please note that we cannot provide tax, legal or accounting advice, but we will do our best to provide you with the information you need to make your own decisions on how to comply with U.S. tax laws. If you still have questions after reviewing the information provided, contact your own tax, legal and/or accounting advisor prior to completing a tax form.

The first step in submitting your tax form is identifying if you are a US person.

You are considered a US person if you are

  • An individual who is a US citizen or US resident alien.
  • A partnership, limited liability company, corporation, company, or association created or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States.
  • An estate (other than a foreign estate), or
  • A domestic trust (as defined in US tax regulations).

You can read more about this on the IRS website here.

If you qualify as a US person

You will be required to complete an IRS Form W-9 and provide your Social Security Number (SSN), Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

Important things to note

  • Always make sure to provide your name exactly as it is on the IRS records.
  • For businesses, make sure to include the full legal name of the company, including the corporate identifier (LLC or Inc. for example).

If you do not qualify as a US person

You will be required to complete an IRS Form W-8BEN if you are an Individual or an IRS Form W-8BEN-E if you are a business and provide your Foreign Taxpayer Identification Number (Foreign TIN).

Important things to note

  • The issuance, structure, use, and validity of Taxpayer Identification Numbers (TIN) or their functional equivalents vary from country to country. Typically these numbers are issued by the taxing authority or equivalent administration in your country of residence.

  • You can find information regarding the issuance, structure, use, and validity of TINs in select countries and jurisdictions on the OECD's Automatic Exchange Portal here.

  • For residents in EU countries, you can review information on Taxpayer Identification Numbers for each EU member country on the European Commission website here.

  • If you cannot find information regarding Taxpayer Identification Numbers in your country of residence, please contact your local tax administration or consult with an advisor.

Submitting your tax form

When signing (typing) your name on the form, be sure to read over the disclaimers and authorizations, and confirm that the information provided is correct and that you are properly authorized to sign the form. Please note that once your form has been submitted, you will not be able to edit it and a new form will have to be submitted if you want to change any information.



Was this article helpful?